Yes, Thank You!  I was trying to set the textAlign property
on the TabBar directly.  You've reminded me that the TabBar
is a collection of tabs.  The CSS approach apparently is
needed to set the style of the children tabs through the
tabStyleName setting.

Thanks, this was a great help!!

Below I've included another version that also works.

Paul Hall

<mx:Style>

        .leftTextTab {
        textAlign:left;
        }

</mx:Style>

<mx:TabBar x="272" y="110" tabStyleName="leftTextTab">
        <mx:dataProvider>
        <mx:Array>
        <mx:Object label="Item 1"/>
        <mx:Object label="Item 2"/>
        <mx:Object label="Item 3"/>
        <mx:Object label="Item 4"/>
        <mx:Object label="Item 5"/>
        </mx:Array>
        </mx:dataProvider>
</mx:TabBar>
<mx:Label x="446" y="140" text="Left Align Specified via CSS"
color="#ffffff"/>

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "scalenine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting. It worked fine on my end. Here's a more thorough
example:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
> layout="absolute">
>
>       <mx:Style>
>
>               .leftTextTabBar {
>                       firstButtonStyleName:"leftTextTab";
>                       buttonStyleName:"leftTextTab";
>                       lastButtonStyleName:"leftTextTab";
>
>                       firstTabStyleName:"leftTextTab";
>                       tabStyleName:"leftTextTab";
>                       lastTabStyleName:"leftTextTab";
>                       }
>
>                       .leftTextTab {
>                               textAlign:left;
>                               }
>

>       </mx:Style>
>
>       <mx:TabBar x="272" y="31">
>               <mx:dataProvider>
>                       <mx:Array>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 1"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 2"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 3"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 4"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 5"/>
>                       </mx:Array>
>               </mx:dataProvider>
>       </mx:TabBar>
>
>       <mx:TabBar styleName="leftTextTabBar" x="272" y="110">
>               <mx:dataProvider>
>                       <mx:Array>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 1"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 2"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 3"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 4"/>
>                               <mx:Object label="Item 5"/>
>                       </mx:Array>
>               </mx:dataProvider>
>       </mx:TabBar>
>       <mx:Label x="459" y="61" text="Alignment Not Specified"
color="#ffffff"/>
>       <mx:Label x="446" y="140" text="Left Align Specified via CSS"
> color="#ffffff"/>
>
> </mx:Application>
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Juan
> scalenine.com
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "phall121" <phall@> wrote:
> >
> > Great suggestion.  I had not thought of this.
> > Unfortunately, though, this didn't work.  I applied
> > in a couple of different ways and still no luck.
> > But, again, thanks for the suggestion!  It was
> > worth a try.
> >
> > PHall
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "scalenine" <juan@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I know you can set that via styling: