Sun has a very comprehensive online documentation of the Java language.

This is a good book if you are a seasoned developer and just wanting
to pick up Java "Java In A Nutshell" by David Flanagan, O'Reilly.

Another really good book is "Just Java 2" by Peter van der Linden, Sun
Microsystems Press.  I learnt Java from these (C++ background) and I
recommend both.

There aren't really variations of Java itself, so a basic grounding in
the language is something that you can use whatever you end up doing.
 However there are lots of design and coding patterns around Java
which give high productivity, especially when using Java to write
server software, which is probably what you mean by Java as it relates
to Flex.  Java doesn't specifically relate to flex or vice versa, but
there is middleware which serialises between Java and ActionScript,
such as FDS.

On the server you will need to look at EJB and J2EE and I would
recommend Spring, although it takes a bit of getting your head around,
and Hibernate if you are persisting your data relationally.  These are
all frameworks for coding which, with supporting packages from 3rd
parties, give a high degree of productivity in writing scalable Java
servers.  It is truly amazing how much fee code there is available.

You'll probably wind up with Eclipse as an IDE too, so it is worth
familiarising yourself with that.  Don't expect the Microsoft IDE, but
it is pretty good all the same.

I'm sure lots of people will comment, but i hope that gives you some
first pointers of what to google.

Good luck