Tom Chiverton wrote:
> Only if most people won't use that particular panel.
> There's no point shaving a bit off the initial load time if most people have
> to wait for a Module to load at a later time.

I think that's an unfair assumption.  Choosing to use modules in an
architecture is more beneficial than just thinking about it in terms of
a load-on-demand scenario.

A few other benefits:

 * Separation of concerns / better project organization (especially
important in large projects with many developers)
 * Each module can be worked on/updated independently of the others
    * Easier maintenance
    * Less strain on users when you push an update out.
 * Letting the user into the application faster while other
functionality loads in the background.  This increase perceived speed,
which makes users happy.

For the "less strain on users" point, let me illustrate.  If only
moduleA changes, then only moduleA.swf needs to be redownloaded by the
user.  The rest of the application will/should still be cached by the
browser.  If the application is 2mb size, and moduleA.swf is 200k, you
just saved your users a long wait.

There's some more as well, such as faster build times because modules
can be compiled separately, better use of interfaces for
inter-application communication, etc.

That said, I don't think every project needs to use modules, but
deciding not to use them just because you don't have a load-on-demand
scenario is shortsighted when thinking about all of the other benefits a
modular architecture bring to the table.

-d

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: