In an effort to record "session time" that a user spends in my flex
application I'm trying to capture the application closing event and
log information before the user leaves.

Currently I can make a webservice call from a function called from the
ExternalInterface if I return some text to show in the "Are you sure
you want to navigate away from this page" dialog box that the browser
displays.

The real problem is, if I don't return any text, the browser calls
before my webservice call is made, as if the browser will not allow
any additional requests once the user has begun the page closing function.

Details:
I have a unload function in actionscript that I register with the
External Interface call.  It makes a webservice call first, and then
returns a string with text or an empty string.

In my index.template.html file, I set the window.onbeforeunload to a
function that calls my actionscript function.

If my actionscript function returns an a string everything works, the
webservice call logs the user logged out and the browser displays the
dialog.

If my actionscript function returns an empty string then no webservice
call is recorded, the browser closes and my server is oblivious to the
fact that the user is gone.