It is working!

For future generations, here is what I did:

* Created a custom class that extends ListItemRenderer.

* Overrode createChildren, measure, commitProperties, and
updateDisplayList as Alex described, calling super on each. The only
glitch here is I had to set label.visible == false in UDL because the
label is duplicating one of the fields I am setting. Also, to get
measuredHeight in measure(), I had to do getExplicitOrMeasuredHeight
() on my textfield. When I set measuredHeight based on the
textfield.height, all the rows were the same height, about 50-75 px.

* No get or set data() or listData() in my new class. No other
methods at all actually, except the ones listed above.

The long national nightmare is over! Many thanks Alex and Tracy for
your patient and informative replies.

OK
DAH

> Yes, as a matter of practice, you should always call
> super.methodName() unless you know for sure you don’t want the
> underlying behavior.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: