Hey Alex,

I know, it's hard to believe -- but I guess you'll just have to trust
me on this one ;) I've made this same renderer about 10 times and
spent a good 40-50 hours trying to improve the performance -- even
going so far as removing all logic from it at times.  It's not the
renderer itself that's causing the majority of the performance hit.

I'd love to post some examples... but unfortunately that nasty NDA
thing prevents me from showing the meat of it.  If I get some time,
I'll be sure to post some samples on my blog and link them on this
list.

The moral of the story I've learned is that if you're building a
complicated data table, Flex/Flash is not the route to go.
HTML/Javascript would have been a far better solution at this point.