I actually am having the same documentation issues, but this might
help you:

latLonController.addMarkerByLatLon('CustomPOIMarker',dp[i].lat,
dp[i].lon,{index:index,title:dp[i].shortName, description:
description, markerColor: Number('0x3366CC'), strokeColor:
Number('0xCEE9FF')});

Basically, it uses the latLonController to add CustomPOIMarker.
Problem is, the response will not give you a reference. I hacked
around it using the title of the marker as an index to the data array.

Hope that helps,
- William