Gordon,

Thank you for your reply - your comments have been most helpful.  I
looked into this and there is an Es4 Wiki entry on this:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=proposals:nullability

There is also an Es4 discussion list, of which I've posted this issue
and the proposal for wrapper classes:

So, the discussion will continue there if anybody is interested.