----- Original Message -----
From: "Giles Roadnight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:11 AM
Subject: [flexcoders] Here we go again: Flex Vs Java

>I am leaving my current job in about a month and a suggestion has been
> made that as I am leaving it would be better to re-write our flex /
> coldfusion sites in jsp and java as that is what the larger company as
> a whole uses.
>
> I need some couter arguments but don't know enough about Java.
>
> Replacing coldfusion with jsp is less of an issue but I Think that
> Flex is very well suited for the front end.
>
> The site I've worked with most is used for managing customer accounts
> and viewing information about them. There are screen for ssearchign
> for accounts, setting up accounts with e-mail lists and a lot of reports.
> Basically most of the site loads data and displays it in datagrids.
>
> What arguments can we use to convince people that flex is the way to
> go rather than jsp / java?

Seems to me that you are comparing a client-side technology (Flex) with a
server-side technology(JSP).

If you are going to talk about JSP, it has to be allied with some other
technology - HTML, Javascript, Ajax, Java applets, etc. You could even have
JSP and Flex, since all JSP does is enable delivery of a response/page to
the browser. JSP has nothing to do with client-side pages apart from
traditionally being used to programmatically build HTML pages. The real
argument is Flex versus the string and stickytape of HTML/Ajax. I have
personally rewritten coldfusion code to replace it with the JSP/Java
equivalent. That shouldn't be any danger to Flex at all and you could point
out that Flex front ends are not dependent on coldfusion.

It's a bizarre decision to have a company ditch a well-received, proven
technology in favour of an old technology traditionally used for serving
HTML pages (but I know personally how some companies work - it's more about
stakeholders and their empires)

I think your boss should reverse the tables and ask why the rest of the
company is still using such an old technology when the future lies
elsewhere. He really needs to try and put together something that'll make
their jaws drop. Think of something that would be easy in Flex but a *** to
do otherwise and let him give a presentation. Why don't you give a
presentation on your app to the technology guys in the company to get them
onside. Most people would love to learn new technologies.

It's a pity that you're going. Sounds like you would have been in prime
position to help push this technology.

In short, I think your boss shouldn't defend Flex, he should question why
you still use older technologies..

Paul