Troy Gilbert wrote:
>> Yes, that's a very appealing architecture. We don't have Flash here,
>> though, just Flex, and while we could track down Flash, install it (the
>> University has a site license, but there's paperwork to get it), and
>> learn to use it, I was hoping someone out there might be able to point
>> me to such SWF's that already exist. I'd hate to reinvent the wheel for
>> something that's been done so many times already.
>
> I did a bit of googling a while back for the same thing and wasn't
> able to find any SWF throbbers. There's a website that'll generate
> animated GIF throbbers (those of choice for the AJAX world), which is
> very nice... if only Flash supported animated GIFs (which,
> tangentially, raises the point of why does Flash not support GIF
> animation? Patent issues?).
>
> Of course, you could grab a GIF throbber (great term, I've not heard
> that before!) and then grab one of the several animated GIF components
> for Flex (I believe ByteArray has a decent one, but I'm sure there are
> others). Should be just a slight bump in code size for the GIF
> animator then you can use any number of web-based throbbers.

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I pursued this route for a little while
(that's a neat site) but came up dry because I didn't want to pay for an
animated GIF component (only one I found was payware) and the GIF to SWF
converters I tried were all crummy.

So, I took a couple of hours and implemented something I'm happy with.
I've attached the code. Please share and enjoy (BSD license). Comments
and suggestions are most welcome.

Take care,

Reid