I spent a long time on a very siilar problem in the early days of Flex
2.  After hours of intercepting and reviewing HTTP(s) requests, the only
diffrence I've noticed between Mozilla and IE with Flex file uploads is
that Mozilla does not send *any* cookies to the server on the data
post.  Therefore you will not be able to use cookie-based authentication
or session state on the server side.

I worked around this by adding soem values to the querystring of the
file post url and creating a special server side module to handle this.
My code is .NET/IIS so i doubt it would help you, but I hope a bit more
insight into the problem may.

- Kelly