--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Harui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can sense your frustration, and the tone of your answers are
trying my
> patience.  There are a lot of variables here, and it is not my full
time
> job to support you through this.  I know you've spent lots of time
on it
> and it can be a real pain in the butt to figure out some things in
Flex,
> but please don't take it out on those of us who are trying to
help.  I'm
> trying to help as many people on this forum as I can so I generally
> don't have the capacity to remember all the details of your issues,
and
> that will occasionally cause me to steer you in the wrong direction,
> since I can't see all of the hazards on the road ahead of you.

Fair enough.  I apologize that my frustration came through as an
attack on you.  I am going completely nuts that something that ought
to be so simple is turning out to be a total nightmare.

> Since my recommendation of not sizing the image to 100% didn't
work, it
> is probably that there is some factor I didn't consider, but I am
> recommending best practices here, so what you take away will
hopefully
> serve you on your next Flex task.  I think I recall that you had
swfs
> with sizes like 300x175.  How big do you want them to show up in
your
> component.  At their true size or scaled down in some way?

Actually, the problem is not with the swfs.  They're all roughly the
same size, so they don't jump all over the place like the images do.
However, I applied the function to them as well, with the assumption
that if they were going to be placed on a canvas they'd need to be
repositioned manually, too.

The images and swfs may be displayed at their true size or may be
scaled down, all depending on their size relative to the container.
I'd thought that Flex would handle this elegantly, but it seems that
the way that the image control positions the content within it has
defeated this elegance.

> I think I also recall asking you to post a couple of the swfs so I
can
> see what they look like.  Please do so in your next response so I
can
> try to get a better understanding of why sizing these swfs is not
> working as expected.  There is always going to be a chance that
you'll
> have to do something one-off, but I haven't seen enough evidence
that we
> really have to do so.  Also, if you have a sketch, screenshot or any
> other visual that can give me an idea of what your goal is that will
> help too.

I've posted the whole kit and caboodle to
ftp://ftp.magnoliamultimedia.com/Thumbviewer.  I've removed the
suggested improvements that gave the scrollbars, so you can see it
pretty much as it ought to work, except that the image jumps all over
the place.  If you imagine it with the image staying in one spot (and
at this point I don't care if it is the top of the container or the
bottom or the center), then you'll be able to picture the desired
functionality.  You'll need to use the enclosed exe to run it, as it
is being passed the xml from an ExternalInterface call.  I didn't
include the compiled files for size reasons.

Thanks!

Amy