I'm going to guess that your import is within the scope of your <mx:Script> tag which closes with your </mx:Script> tag and does not cover your mxml for the page. Using itemRenderer="com.toro.classes.CenteredCheckBox" in the MXML should resolve the issue.

hth
Scott

Scott Melby
Founder, Fast Lane Software LLC
http://blog.fastlanesw.com

candysmate wrote:

I'm using Alex Harui's example code for centering a checkbox within a
datagrid. Within my Flex folders I have a class folder so:
com -> toro -> classes and an AS file called CenteredCheckBox.as so:

package com.toro.classes
{
import flash.display.DisplayObject;
import flash.text.TextField;
import mx.controls.CheckBox;

public class CenteredCheckBox extends CheckBox
{

public function CenteredCheckBox()
{
super();
}

/**
* center the contentHolder
*/
override protected function updateDisplayList(w:Number, h:Number):void
{
super.updateDisplayList(w, h);

var n:int = numChildren;
for (var i:int = 0; i < n; i++)
{
var c:DisplayObject = getChildAt(i);
if (!(c is TextField))
{
c.x = (w - c.width) / 2;
c.y = 0;

within my DataGrid i have for one of the DataGridColumns:

itemRenderer="CenteredCheckBox"

but the compiler tells me 1172:Definition CenteredCheckBox could not
be found, despite having imported it with

import com.toro.classes.CenteredCheckBox;

Where have I gone wrong please?