The full incantation for handling a webservice in ActionScript is
shown in the Developer's Guide example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- fds\rpc\WebServiceInAS.mxml -->
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";>
    <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
        import mx.rpc.soap.WebService;
        import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
        import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;
        private var ws:WebService;

        public function useWebService(intArg:int, strArg:String):void {
            ws = new mx.rpc.soap.WebService();
            ws.destination = "echoArgService";
            ws.echoArgs.addEventListener("result", echoResultHandler);
            ws.addEventListener("fault", faultHandler);
            ws.loadWSDL();
            ws.echoArgs(intArg, strArg);
        }

        public function echoResultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void {
            var retStr:String = event.result.echoStr;
            var retInt:int = event.result.echoInt;
            //Do something.
        }

        public function faultHandler(event:FaultEvent):void {
            //deal with event.fault.faultString, etc
        }
    ]]>
    </mx:Script>
</mx:Application>