I have a datagrid inside a container that can change width. The DG is 100%
width, it has 4 columns. I would like the last 3
columns to be a specific size while the first column takes up whatever space is
left. Right now, when my DG loads the columns
are almost all the same size, then if you resize the DG making it wider then
smaller the last 3 columns slowly take over the
first column until there is almost nothing left.

At first I tried giving widths to the last 3 columns so they would be set, I
thought this would work just like html tables for
example. That didn't work, so I tried binding (DG.width - the other 3 columns
widths) as the width of the first column but this
causes amazingly slow performance when resizing the DG...you can actually see
the DG columns jumping to catch up with the
resized window, it's really ugly and makes my app feel like it is crawling.

here is an example:

<mx:DataGrid id="myDG" width="100%" height="100%" resizableColumns="false">
     <mx:columns>
           <mx:DataGridColumn minWidth="135" width="{myDG.width - 225}"/> // 20
extra pixles for scrollbar.
           <mx:DataGridColumn minWidth="80" width="80" />
           <mx:DataGridColumn minWidth="90" width="90" />
           <mx:DataGridColumn minWidth="35" width="35" />
     </mx:columns>
</mx:DataGrid>

I'm not sure what to do here...how come the DGcolumns have min widths but no
max width? I have searched this list and
didn't see any other posts about this problem, does this not effect other
people?

Thanks in advance for your help, this list is awesome.