I am using a VDivided box to hold a datagrid on the top, and a custom
video player on the bottom.  Initially, the application just shows the
datagrid.  At some point, the state gets changed, and the custom video
player gets added:

<mx:AddChild position="lastChild">
        <controls:VideoDisplay id="_video" height="50%" width="100%"
onReady="{setVideoReady(event)}"/>
</mx:AddChild>

after the state changes, and the video component is visible, the
background around the custom component is solid black, even though the
application background is a whitish gradient.  What's weirder, is if I
change the AddChild to a standard component (such as a List), I see
the whitish background instead of black.  I am never defining anything
black in my custom component, so what could be going on?