To get the xml into the database via some server side technology the
xml will need to get converted into string format at some point. When
you retrieve it from the database via server side tech, it will again
be as a string, you will have to convert it back into a proper xml
object at some point, either on the server or in the flex client. I
don't think there is any way around that.

I have done the same thing for many projects and have never had a
problem. The database thinks you're saving a huge string (which it is)
and actionscript can quickly parse a large xml string back into an XML
object very quickly. Go for the easy, clean, quick solution.

Derrick
Derrick Grigg
www.dgrigg.com