You guys misunderstood what I was talking about.  Here is the
landscape:

Server 1: (www.foo.com) Owned by me and I have a crossdomain.xml
which allows access to *.foo.com.  This server is NOT compromised and
nobody is modifying any files.

Server 2: (www.evil.com) Owned by malicious user.  A Flash file is
loaded on this server.  The flash file makes calls to www.foo.com
which under normal circumstances would NOT be allowed to access data
on my server because of the crossdomain only allowing access from
*.foo.com.

Workstate 1: Owned by malicious user.  The user makes a local host
entry for evil.foo.com which points to the same IP as www.evil.com.
the malicious flash file is loaded under the evil.foo.com host header
which then gives it access to my server at www.foo.com.

As you can see, no computers are compromised, yet the crossdomain.xml
model fails under VERY simple circumstances.

Basically what I am getting at is that crossdomain.xml really
provides very little security at any layer.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Abdul Qabiz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > If that same evil person can get to your hosts file, that's the
fault of
> the OS and not Flash.
>
> Yup! Machine is already compromised and that guy can do lots of
other things
> :)
>
> -abdul
>
> On 10/27/07, Alex Harui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >    That's right.  The goal of crossdomain.xml is to limit what an
evil
> > person can do in a SWF served over the web so that the
unsuspecting Web