Hi.

> My problem is in initializing the comboBox to use the original value
> specified by the dataProvider and not the first option in the combobox.
> (which may or may not be the actual value) I've pasted a simple example to
> see if someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.
All you have to do is replace the [TypeComboBoxRenderer] declaration from:

<!-- mxmlcomponents/TypeComboBoxRenderer.mxml -->
<mx:VBox xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; >

<mx:VBox xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
dataChange="{contactCombo.data=data.Type}">

Note: The dataChange is the event that is dispatched
[TypeComboBoxRenderer] when somebody set the data.

Regards,
Edward Yakop