Since the previous question is already answered by Scott. I won't
repeat the answer here.

> My ultimate goal is that when the user clicks the submit button, I get
> only the records in myDatagrid that have changed.  By the time the app
> is done there may be hundreds of rows of records with up to 10 fields.

What u can do is to addEventListener for the
[mx.events.CollectionEvent.COLLECTION_CHANGE] event type.
When u get a call back u can check the [kind] and [location] property
of CollectionEvent to determine whether the collection has been
modified in any way. The [kind] constant that you're looking for is
[mx.events.CollectionEventKind.UPDATE].

This way you don't have to iterate your array collection. The draw
back is u have to store what has been modified even if the user
doesn't click submit.

Regards,
Edward Yakop