verticalScrollPolicy="{(thelist.dataProvider.length>thelist.rowCount)?'on':'
auto'}"

works, sort of. When the list data changes, I think the displaylist is
invalidated, redrawn, and then this binding action happens and
verticalScrollPolicy is set to 'on' . but then the display list isn't
invalidated again, so you don't see the width appropriately change until the
next time the list data changes.

Kind of odd.

Alex - I'd assume that in the setter for verticalScrollPolicy the display
list needs to be invalidated again. This may be a bug, not sure.

Seth