Jon,

Well, I am leaving the "cool" factor away, but it is still cool.
Honestly, I don't really care about porting quake or any other super
pop tech... neither sound nor graphics rendering software. Porting the
ranking system of a b&w version of pacman is already scary enough!

As you point out, having access to a tool ( or even just a cheap
methodology ) for porting c/cpp code opens a new world of
possibilities, and drastically changes the rules of the game.
Basically, it is now business to create a library and become the first
to have it in AS3... probably not an evident niche to the rest of us
because AIR has not hit the streets yet, but I can bet more than one
company is doing something in those lines.

Take the very same Adobe and their Flex IDE as a cannonical example...
how long would it be, after the release of such piece of machinery,
before someone ports a compiler generator et al and gives something
like FLEXible a final push to completion. Or someone creates a solid
migration tool from another UI technology with established IDEs to
Flash?

Of course you might argue that the flex framework is unparalleled with
binding, repeaters, events, effects, etc. ... but isn't it opensource
already? and with respect to other technologies, now that the ideas
are on the table, it's just a matter of playing catch up... which will
be quite fast given that, as Scott Peterson  emphasizes, we can even
port interpreters for other languages.

And what about LCS?? It might not have a contender right off the shelf
but, hey, having the ability to port libraries puts me much much
closer. And closer to building something better!
Or even something that runs with MS technology in the backend.

Of course this would definitely lean the balance against silverlight
and other contenders in terms of developer adoption, but at what cost.

If part of the player is OS ( correct me is im wrong ), the framework
is OS, and now we can port code and run it in Flash... what's left for
Adobe to profit from? Perhaps acrobat...? or Media Server? ( oh.. red5
).

So, wrapping up, I think this announcement deserves a LOT more
attention that what it's had. They somehow opened Pandora's box with
that short demo.

I just don't see a clear business strategy behind the move. I might be
missing very important point but with my current understanding this
scares me a bit... quite a bit to be honest. After all, some of us are
betting on the sustainability of this platform.
To a certain degree, Adobe might be shooting themselves in the foot
with this one.

I am very interested to hear some informed opinions.

Thanks,
Aldo

--
:::: Aldo Bucchi ::::