>From the Adobe livedocs

"The Preloader class is used by the SystemManager to monitor the download
and initialization status of a Flex application. It is also responsible for
downloading the runtime shared libraries (RSLs). "

By design, the preloader is supposed to run prior to loading any shared
libraries. You might want to try pulling out the styles you need for the
preloader and apply them at compile time. If you prefer to load them at
runtime, you can use the StyleManager.loadStyleDeclarations function in your
preloader and wait to start it until the StyleManager finishes loading
(function returns an IEventDispatcher where you can listen for
StyleEvent.COMPLETE). Although, I'm not sure how well the later will work
before the application finishes initializing.

Best Regards,
...aaron

--
Aaron Miller