I've worked it out.  You can specify when the component removal
happens by using a mx:RemoveChildAction tag:

        <mx:Style>
                @font-face {
                        src: local("Arial");
                        fontFamily: myArial;
                }

                global {
                        fontFamily: myArial;
                        fontSize: 15
                }
        </mx:Style>

        <mx:transitions>
                <mx:Transition fromState="" toState="A">
                        <mx:Sequence target="{lblMessage}" duration="2000">

                                <mx:Glow alphaFrom="1" alphaTo="0" />

                        </mx:Sequence>

                </mx:Transition>
                <mx:Transition fromState="A" toState="">
                        <mx:Sequence target="{lblMessage}" duration="2000">

                                <mx:Fade alphaFrom="1" alphaTo="0"/>
                                <mx:RemoveChildAction/>
                        </mx:Sequence>
                </mx:Transition>
        </mx:transitions>

(Note: I've also embedded a font to allow the Fade effect to work
properly)