While working on a small test case for this, I realized what was
happening.  The pages beyond the Login screen have a security check
that looks for a user_id variable (stored in the application model).
When the user leaves the Flex app and then returns, the model
variables are lost and so trying to go directly back to the page
results in the user being redirected to the Login page.

So, I'm now storing some session info in the database then passing
the session id back into the Flex app and having that re-establish
the necessary model variables so that the user ends up back on the
correct page.