Ok, got it! I had to use some hard-coded values, which I'm not fond of
doing, but I can live with it :) Here's the function I used:

            private function adjustEditorOffset(e:ListEvent):void {
                var tree:Tree = Tree(e.currentTarget);
                var treeBottomY:int = tree.y + tree.height;
                tree.editorYOffset = (treeBottomY - tree.mouseY < 200) ?
-155 : 5;
            }

The 200 is the height of my item editor, and the -155 is just from trial and
error as to what looked good :) This seems to do the trick just fine.