The DG forces the styleName to point to the column.  Set the styles on the
column.

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
candysmate
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 3:51 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Styling itemrenderer

I have a custom itemrenderer:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Text xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml
<http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml> "
styleName="rendererStyle">
</mx:Text>

which I'm popping into a dataGridColumn with:

<mx:DataGridColumn
headerText=""
dataField="problem"
editable="false"
width="20"
textAlign="center"
color="#FF0000"
rendererIsEditor="true"
itemRenderer="myComponents.DGWingDingTextDisplay"

</mx:DataGridColumn>

my style is setup thus:

@font-face {
src:url("wingding.ttf");
fontFamily: myFontFamily;
flashType: true;
font-weight:normal;
unicodeRange:U+00FB-U+00FB;
}

rendererStyle {
font-family: myFontFamily;
flashType: true;
font-weight: normal;
color: #FF0000;
font-size: 30pt;
}

However, the datagridcolumn only displays the unstyled character รป.
Elsewhere in my application this character, when correctly styled,
shows up as the WingDing 'handwritten cross' character as I designed it.

Where am I going wrong please?

Else where in my application I use this technique:

<mx:DataGridColumn
width="30"
editable="false"
headerText=""
dataField="problem"
textAlign="center"
rendererIsEditor="true"

<mx:itemRenderer>
<mx:Component className ="rendererStyle">
<mx:Text>
</mx:Text>
</mx:Component>
</mx:itemRenderer>
</mx:DataGridColumn>

it works fine, but the compiler complains that I've already used that
className if I want to repeat the technique elsewhere which is why I'm
trying out this new way.

Any pointers much appreciated. Thanks.