You'd need to be using data services and you'd do something like the
following

[RemoteClass(alias="com.myvopackage.MyVO")]

public class MyVO extends Object {

//all the various values inside object here.

//make sure same as the remote java class..

}

The following link should be helpful
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.
htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00001104.html

If you haven't got lifecycle then you could get BlazeDS (I've not
downloaded it to see yet) which will give you the dataservices that you
need for free. See http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/blazeds/

You might want to look at some of the various posts/tutorials about
Cairngorm.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Cairngorm

or this page from adobe on flex for java developers

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/flex_java.html

HTH.