From: Gordon Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 2:58:38 PM
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Re: addchild

> Why would you think that a book called "actionscript 3 animation" uses only
> only
> flash.* classes throughout and avoids the mx.* classes completely ?

It was just a guess, because the title didn't include the word "Flex". Are you
saying that this book actually does use mx.* classes?

> Doesn't Flex use actionscript 3?

Yes. As I said, you write AS3 to use both the flash.* classes (which are
actually implemented in C++) and the mx.* classes (which are themselves
implemented in AS3). And, as I said, the former are low-level classes built
into the Player while the latter are high-level classes provided with the Flex
framework which get linked into your SWF.

> Doesn't it do animation?

Yes, it can "do" animation. In fact, Flex's mx.effects.* classes ARE animation
classes. But we didn't create Flex to make it easier to make balls move around
the stage. The focus of Flex is not Flash-style animations and games, although
some developers use it to create just that. Flex is really focused on building
Rich Internet Applications, and we provide the most common components that are
necessary to do that... things like ComboBox, DataGrid, DateChooser, etc.

Gordon Smith
Adobe Flex SDK Team