I had a similar question last week, and what I ended up doing, thanks to
some help on this list, was extending UIComponent and overriding some
methods, something like this:

package components
{
 import mx.core.UIComponent;
 import flash.geom.Rectangle;

 public class MyComponent extends UIComponent
 {
  public var container:UIComponent;

  public function MyComponent()
  {
   super();
  }

  override protected function updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth:Number,
unscaledHeight:Number):void
  {
   super.updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth, unscaledHeight);
   measuredWidth = unscaledWidth;
   measuredHeight = unscaledHeight;
  }

        override protected function measure():void
        {
         var rect:Rectangle = getBounds(container);
         measuredWidth = rect.width;
         measuredHeight = rect.height;

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
GT&O L&LD Solutions Design & Development
eTools & Multimedia

Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community