I have this working in both Flex 1.2 w/Kit 1.0.1  and Flex 3 w/Kit
1.1.2

But what I found in Flex 3 is there are now 2 Commands:

Convert Symbol to Flex Component
Convert Symbol to Flex Container

I needed to use the 1st one "Flex Componet"

I also needed to change my code to use the Symbol Name not the
instance name > the Output message clued me in on this change-it said

Symbol "Ny_Metro_export" can be used as a Flex component.

in Flex I just used that name and Flex compiled and it runs.
<local:Ny_Metro_export id="nysMap"
                scaleX="{(layoutCanvas.height/MAPHEIGHT)*.80}"
                scaleY="{(layoutCanvas.height/MAPHEIGHT)*.80}" />

Other things to check:
-Besure you get a fresh swc > even delete it 1st to be sure your
publishing to the correct location.
-Besure you publish then trigger a recompile on the Flex side else
you are running an old version of the swc.  To be sure I put trace
out in Flash with a number and I incrument the number.  Then run the
Flex app in debug mode and you will see the trace.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "jrosenhaft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (I also posted this on the adobe labs forum.  Apologies if you see
it
> twice)
>
> I've tried several examples of using the flex component kit for
Flash
> AS3 and none of them are working for me.  Whenever I run
the "Convert
> Symbol to Flex Component Command," I get the following output:
>
> Command made the following changes to the FLA:
>   Turned on Permit Debugging
>   Turned on Export SWC
>   Set frame rate to 24
>   Imported FlexComponentBase component to library
> Symbol "BallComponent" can be used as a Flex component.
> Select File > Publish to create the SWC file for use in Flex.
>
> This appears to be correct but after adding the SWC to the flex
> library, my flex application does not seem to "see" the new
> component.  I've managed to pull in components that others have
made
> with Flash AS3 and the component kit so I don't think I'm doing
> anything wrong on the flex side.
>
> I noticed that in Flash, FlexComponentBase does not show up in my
> library after converting my symbol to a flex component.
> Additionally, nothing happens when I drag FlexComponentBase into my
> library.  It just doesn't show up.  When I go to the properties
> dialog for my exported component and try to validate
> mx.flash.UIMovieClip, I get the following message:
>
> A definition for the base class could not be found in the
classpath.
> Please enter the name of a class that is defined in the classpath,
or
> enter the default base class 'flash.display.MovieClip'.
>
> I suspected there was something wrong with my installation of Flash
> CS3 or the Component Kit so I just uninstalled and reinstalled
Flash