Same here.  This really frustrates me and seems like an obvious bug.
I'm surprised it's not fixed in Flex 3 either...it seems fairly common
to have a component inside another that you want to be able to grow
(percentage width) and scroll vertically.

My "fix" is to disable horizontal scrolling and put an extra 10 pixels
on the right side of the potentially scrollable area...  This way I
never get the horizontal scrollbars, and none of my content looks
crop.  I'm really not a fan of this though, since I either have extra
padding when no scrollbar is present, or less padding when present.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Josh McDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've found the same as you, I tried all sorts of things and couldn't
really
> find a nice solution. Perhaps there's some way I don't know of to
get the
> equivalent of HTML's "clientWidth" and use that like width="{
> parent.clientWidth}" instead of width="100%"...
>
> I usually either set a verticalscrollbarpolicy of either "off" or
"on" where
> I butt up against this problem.
>
> -Josh
>
> On Jan 31, 2008 9:55 AM, dfalling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >   I finally got around to testing this in Flex 3. Even with Flex 3 and
> > setting minheight/minwidth, I still get those scrollbars. Any other
> > possible fixes (preferably Flex 2)?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Alex
> > Harui" <aharui@> wrote:
> > >
> > > There's a couple of older threads in the archives on this topic.
> > > Setting minHeight/minWIdth=0 often helps

> > > From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>

But for