hi,
please review the sample below........ it is tricky...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute"
creationComplete="init();">
<mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[

                import mx.controls.*;
                import mx.core.UIComponent;

                public var indexCounter:int = 0;
                [Bindable]
                    public var comboChat: Array = [
                    {label:"A", data:0},
                    {label:"B", data:1},
                    {label:"C", data:2},
                    {label:"D", data:3}
                    ];

                public function init():void{
                        chatAllCombo.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,
comboclick);
                }
                public function comboclick(e:MouseEvent):void{
                        chatAllCombo.dataProvider = comboChat;
                        openCombo();
                        chatAllCombo.removeEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,
comboclick);
                }
                public function openCombo():void{
                        chatAllCombo.dataProvider = comboChat;
                        chatAllCombo.open();
                }

        ]]>
</mx:Script>
        <mx:ComboBox x="9" y="23" id="chatAllCombo" width="180"
        cornerRadius="0"/>

</mx:Application>

Enjoy