I continue to be skeptical that it's a DataGrid problem. I have no
problem getting a DataGrid to display 1,000,000 small items:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";>

    <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[

        private function dg_initialize(event:Event):void
        {
            const N:int = 1000000;
            var dp:Array = new Array(N);
            for (var i:int = 0; i < N; i++)
            {
                dp[i] = { "i": i, "Log(i)": Math.log(i) };
            }
            dg.dataProvider = dp;
        }

    ]]>
    </mx:Script>

    <mx:DataGrid id="dg" initialize="dg_initialize(event)"/>

</mx:Application>

The fact that JSP/HTML works isn't relevant. The issue is whether all of
the data items are being successfully fetched by HTTPService or whatever
you're using.

- Gordon