> stage.focus = null;
>  However, the FocusManager may fight to put the focus somewhere.

Ah, yes... I remember using that as my original attempt to fix this
last year... I put a stage.focus = null in my enterFrame event handler
and the FocusManager continually grabbed it back from me.

>  Yeah, I recall that you were adding priority as int.MAX_VALUE. Did you
>  try it with default priority? I'm not sure if there are issues using
>  MAX_INT as priority.

Yeah, I originally had it with the default priority. I didn't see a
difference by changing the priority.

>  Do you have default wmode or are you using some other wmode? Are there
>  other focusable widgets in the HTML wrapper?

I'm loading the SWF directly in the browser, no wrapper HTML.

>  When you only see keydown and no keyup, is the control with focus
>  responding? If you put a target phase listener on that control is it
>  reporting the KEY_UP event?

That's the quirky thing... when I see it, I've not longer got a
reference to the control that had the focus (a combo box). I've got a
popup (non-modal) that displays a form of controls (mainly sliders and
combo boxes). I occasionally had the problem that when the popup was
closed (PopUpManager.removePopUp(dialog); dialog = null;) I'd have to
click back onto my application to return the focus to it (no keybaord
events would fire).

But, I've recently added a new derived ComboBox class that displays
images as the item renderer (and has an overriden updateDisplayList to
display the image in place of the textinput). The code I added doesn't
add/remove any event listeners and does nothing keyboard related (just
rendering). And now I get keyDown's but not keyUp's (until I click
back on the app, at which time I get the keyUp's again).

Troy.