Hi, I do it like this:

in my mxml file:
        <mx:ControlBar paddingLeft="2" paddingRight="2"
paddingTop="2" paddingBottom="2">
                <mx:ProgressBar hideEffect="{pbfadeOut}"
showEffect="{pbfadeIn}" visible="false" id="bpProgressBar"
labelPlacement="center" indeterminate="true" width="100%"/>
        </mx:ControlBar>

        <mx:Fade id="pbfadeOut" duration="500" alphaFrom="1.0"
alphaTo="0.0"/>
    <mx:Fade id="pbfadeIn" duration="500" alphaFrom="0.0"
alphaTo="1.0"/>

In my AS file with the remoteObject call and result.

private var _bpProgressBar:ProgressBar;

        public function updateCustFileListBundle(pb:ProgressBar):void
        {
                this._bpProgressBar = ProgressBar(pb);
                this._bpProgressBar.visible = true;
                this._bpProgressBar.label = 'Oppdater data base';

                //trace
(LicenseVOSingleton.instance.licenseVO.custFileList);
                flexComRO.updateCustFileListBundle
(MemberVOSingleton.getInstance().memberVO,
LicenseVOSingleton.instance.licenseVO);
                flexComRO.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
onUpdateCustFileListBundle);
                CursorManager.setBusyCursor();

        }

        private function onUpdateCustFileListBundle
(event:ResultEvent):void
        {
                flexComRO.removeEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT,
onUpdateCustFileListBundle);

                var rs:LicenseVO = new LicenseVO();
                        rs = event.result as LicenseVO

                //trace('************ rs ***********');
                //trace(rs.custFileList);

                LicenseVOSingleton.instance.licenseVO = event.result
as LicenseVO;
                LicenseVOSingleton.instance.createBPTree();
                LicenseVOSingleton.instance.createMyFileTree();

                //CursorManager.removeBusyCursor();

                this._bpProgressBar.label = 'Data Oppdatert ferdig';
                this._bpProgressBar.visible = false;

        }

as you can see from the code the I send a referace from the pb into
my updateCustFileListBundle(pb:ProgressBar) and alter the variables.

It don't show you bytes loaded but it shows something is going on :)

Cato Paus
www.umbrellacorp.no