Hello,

I have an XML file  which consists of a list of classes and it's
attributes (teacher, length, category, etc., etc., ...)  Classes can
belong to different depts.  I want to be able to grab all the classes
and their attributes that are part of a certain dept.  The dept nodes
is a child of the class node.  I can filter out the xml file to find
all the nodes whose dept value equals the dept I am looking for, but I
don't know how to return the main parent node.

here is the xml file :
<klasses>
    <klass id="0">
        <title>klass A</title>
        <length unit="hr">1.5</length>
        <category>core</category>
        <depts>
            <dept>
                <name>art</name>
            </dept>
            <dept>
                <name>pe</name>
            </dept>
            <dept>
                <name>modeling</name>
            </dept>
            <dept>
                <name>animation</name>
            </dept>
        </depts>
</klass>
<klass id="1">
        <title>klass B</title>
        <length unit="hr">1.5</length>
        <category>core</category>
        <depts>
            <dept>
                <name>r and d</name>
            </dept>
            <dept>
                <name>td</name>
            </dept>
            <dept>
                <name>lighting</name>
            </dept>
            <dept>
                <name>matte painting</name>
            </dept>
        </depts>
</klass>
</klasses>

I get the xml file from:
courseList = evt.result.klass

// I want to get all klass objects that has "art" as one of the
dept.name nodes

var needle:String = "art"

I try using this predicate filter but it only returns a XMLLIst that
consists of <name>needle</name>

tempXMLList = courseList.klass.depts.dept.(name==needle)

what I want returned is:
<klass>
</klass>
<klass>
</klass>

where inside <klass> ... </klass> at least one of the dept.name nodes
is equal to "art"

I know it's probably simple but I can't seem to get the syntax right.
 I've looked at a lot of examples but they don;t make sense to me and
most don't deal with anything deeper than a single level.  I can't
seem to find any good documentation on predicate filtering either.  I
appreciate any help, its kinda got me stuck from moving forward on
this development project.

I am still a novice on all this stuff.

Thanks.

be well,