I solved the problem in a "brute force" method of counting iteratively
during the process of compiling the XML file and writing out the
<length> tag before each major closing tag. This is actually a nifty
technique because accessing the size of a cluster of elements works
just like OOP convention of (something).length - though "length" is
sometimes followed by empty parenthesis.