I have a vector graphic that originated in Illustrator, which I then
imported into Flash CS3. I converted the graphic elements to symbols,
linking them to AS3 classes, and exported the swf to load into Flex 3.

In Flex, when I load the swf into an Image or SWFLoader tag, I can
capture a mouseover event for the individual elements in the graphic,
reading the event.target value just fine and feeding the object to the
functions I want to operate on the individual elements (to apply
filters).

Now I want to programmatically (and randomly) select the individual
graphic symbols, but can't seem to read them.

In this sample code, which is not working, "background" holds Flash
swf. background.numChildren returns 1, and I cannot seem to read the
equivalent of background.getSelectedChild(0).numChildren. The
underlying symbols are typed as movie clips, but casting the selected
children as movie clip doesn't seem to help beca

public function applyRandom():void

  {
    var graphicCount:int = background.numChildren
    var index:int = NumberUtilities.random (0, graphicCount-1, 1);
    var _target:Object;

    _target = Object(background.getChildAt(index));
    applyFilter(_target);
  }

I've installed Flex Component for Flash CS3 and pulled the individual
components into Flex, but even if I re-composed the graphic by moving
the individual symbols back into place, in my initial tests, I am
running into the same problem.