Hello Tracy,

thanks for the tip, I got it working.  Once I got everything in a handler
function it was
easier to debug and try somethings out.  The problem cam down to putting the
HierarchicalData declaration in the Handler function instead of in the mxml
binding.

so this worked:

                private function XMLHandler(evt:ResultEvent):void {
                        studList = new XMLListCollection(evt.result.studio);
                        studHier = new HierarchicalData(evt.result.studio);
                        txtArea.text = studList.toString();
                }

then this binding worked:

               ... dataProvider="{studHier}"

and this didn't:

               dataProvider="{new as HierarchicalData(studList)}"

although I had seen this last case used in one of the official Adobe Flex docs.
 I am not
sure what the differnces are as I am still looking into it.

be well,
Hoyt