Unfortunately I already tried releaseCollection(.., true); and the
results were the same. In my test scenarios there are no other
references to the data outside the collection passed to
releaseCollection. Beyond my test scenarios it would be possible to
have multiple references in which case I would want the copies to be
made and data maintained.

Is it possible that my object's lazy relationships are causing
excessive graph traversal during the release? If this is the case I'm
wondering if I can test that by changing that relationship information
in the data management configuration file even though the
relationships still exist in my DB without causing any other
unintended consequences.