I thought about something like this too.
So, let's say we have the followig code:
public function aFunction():XML
{
  public var publicParameter:XML = new XML;
  addEventListener( Event.SomeEvent, responderEventHandler );
  private function responderEventHandler(event:Event):void
  {
      event.target.publicParameter = someXml;
  }
  return publicParameter;
}

If we are talking about getting XML from the Server then:
return publicParameter is most likely executed before:
event.target.publicParameter = someXml;
Am I wrong here?

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Krotscheck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> foo.addEventListener( Event.SomeEvent, responderEventHandler );
>

> private function responderEventHandler(event:Event):void
>
> {
>
>             event.target.publicParameter = "bar";
>
> }
>

> Michael Krotscheck