Again, do I suck or does Flex suck?  Answer: BOTH!

<mx:DataGrid contextMenu="actionscript_function_name" ... />

#1. I would like to have a specific contect menu per column. Perhaps I
could do that in itemRenderer, introducing another level of bogosity.

#2a.  The context menu renders when  the DataGrid is 'instantiated'
.. I need it to render at the instant it is called up by the user's
mouse click or context-menu-button press)... great: digression: The
context menu button triggers a browser-level (Firefox at this instant)
ho hum...

anyway:
#2b: I need the context menu rendered at the instant it is called up
by the user, in order to be able to determine those items that should
be included, and as an opportunity to gray-out (i.e. disable) items
based on the context of the item that was clicked: in particular, my
DataGrid cell-level content.  That's the context!

Any advice?  It could involve roll-out events, whatever it takes!

-- John Harris