I think we may have crossed wires or something. lol. Are you saying that the
'localdomain' certificate won't save? Or are you saying that the Certificate
Authority you used to sign your signing request for 'localdomain' won't
save? I have a feeling you're talking about the 'localdomain' cert. What I
suggested, was to save the Certificate Authority cert as a trusted root
certificate in IE.

If you create a self signed cert following steps similar to those here
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~brams006/selfsign.html<http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Ebrams006/selfsign.html>then
the
ca.crt that you create in step one, is the certificate that you install into
IE as a trusted root certificate. This will then verify your 'localdomain'
certificate which you hopefully signed with the ca.crt.
I have done this myself, and I have no certificate warnings in any browser
that I have installed the ca.crt as a trusted root cert. It even allowed
file uploads via FileReference in firefox under SSL to work, which was my
primary motiviation.