That is not the correct use of an item editor. Instead, you should set the
DataGridColumn.editorDataField property and listen for the itemEditEnd
event. In your item renderer, you would then create a public getter method
by the same name as the editorDataField to retrieve
cbItemRenderer.getSelectedItem().label. I'm pretty sure you will also need a
getter method to set the correct selectedIndex of the ComboBox.

Here are some examples here:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=celleditor_8.html

Best Regards,
~Aaron