I agree.  If you need anything beyond the very basics you will be far
better off generating printable reports on the server side.  In the past
fewonths I have done this for two different projects with great results.
On the first I used the open source itext library to generate PDF reports.
 On the other I generated open XML for a client that wanted to ne able to
"touch up" the results.  Both solutions were simple and flexible.

hthScott