Maybe you can try calling one or all of these methods on your text field
after the style changes:

invalidateProperties();
invalidateSize();
invalidateDisplayList();

If I had to choose one, I think invalidateSize() should work on it's own.
This isn't my expert opinion, I just know I have to call these methods in my
custom item renderers after updating the data or text styles.

Hope this helps,
~Aaron