Gary - anything is possible with a little creativity! Keep in mind that the
Flash sandbox doesn't 'lock you down' in any way shape or form. It is merely
a mechanism to restrict domain/port access to resources. I see where you are
going with this. but hang with me -

If you were to add, say, file system access to Flex. you would inherit all
the overhead of a framework that supports file system access. How do you
control access rights to files? Could I, from a Flex app search your hard
drive? Delete all your system files? Examine your browser history? Once you
think of the implications of granting someone this kind of power. it makes a
great deal of sense by default to deny access to all but limited read only
operations (i.e. URLLoader). How do you think Internet users would react if
they knew that any website or email with a 1px by 1px flash movie embedded
in it could do this kind of thing? Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

If you _need_ to touch the local file system or similar. then moving to AIR
is your next choice. But realize that this is _not_ a carte blanche ticket
to access. I highly recommend you read the April Flash Player Security
Update leaf. AIR adds many cool local features - but still has to play nice
with Flash security.

Rick Winscot