I tried that but with no success.

If I do:

topElement.descendants().(hasOwnProperty("@id"));

Then I get a long XMLList.

But if I do:

topElement.descendants().(hasOwnProperty("localName"));

Then I get an empty XMLList.

I looked at the ECMA spec and they talk about accessing any property using
the [[propertyName]] convention. But I couldnt get that to work in this
expression...

Have you tried topElement.descendants().(localName =="X" || localName ==
"Y")  ?
Not able to check the exact syntax on that just now (is localName an
attribute???) , but I think that's worked for me before.
There was a post yesterday that seemed to be concerned with a similar sort
of thing, you may want to check that as well.