Hey David...

How are things currently laid out and in what container? If I knew
that I could make a more accurate suggestion... but what I will say is
that if you treat the entire map as a single component, then having
the entire thing scale may be more effective than what appears to be
there, which is the map image, and then the icons on top of it, all in
a container at the same level. So if you have something like this

Application

Canvas
| Map Image
Map Icons

What you'd rather have is
Application

Canvas

Map Component (this is what you'd scale)
|Map Image
Map Icons

So how is it set up now?
-b